The opportunity for outstanding SENCOs and inclusion leads to share their knowledge and good practice with other colleagues is limited and in this respect we are ignoring our greatest resource in raising standards for children with SEN. The London Leadership Strategy is unlocking this knowledge and moving it around schools.
The London Leadership Strategy has supported over sixty Inclusion and SEN departments since the programme began in March 2009. The Inclusion Support Programme is delivered by outstanding SEN practitioners from both mainstream and special schools across London. These practitioners, that include SENCOs, lead SEN teachers and senior leaders with responsibility for SEN, offer a unique and bespoke package of support.
Packages of support are built entirely around the needs of the client. This can include auditing of SEN/Inclusion provision, mentoring and coaching for SENCOs and good practice visits.
The benefits of placing outstanding teachers directly into departments include:
- promoting a whole school responsibility of SEN
- raising achievement for pupils at all stages of the SEN Code of Practice
- effective deployment of SEN/Inclusion staff
- developing the role of teaching assistants
- efficient use of SEN resources
- developing the leadership capacity of SEN/inclusion staff
- improved communication between SEN staff and mainstream staff
- ensuring appropriate identification and referral of vulnerable students so that the support they receive is relevant and coordinated
- maximising the effectiveness and impact of learning support units and learning mentors
- improving morale, teamwork and confidence
- preparing for an Ofsted inspection