Special Schools and Pupil Referral Units (PRU) are fragile institutions because of the nature of their size, the often-fluctuating pupil numbers and the vulnerable nature of the children. This support programme offers a bespoke package of support to Special Schools and PRU’s that will be tailored to the needs of the institution.
Outstanding leaders from Special Schools and PRU’s will be matched to schools to increase capacity and improve achievement.
The support will help schools to:
- Evaluate what’s working well and build on existing practice
- Embed and expand a shared and proactive culture and vision
- Create new energy, creativity and sense of purpose
- Raise standards in teaching and learning, improving outcomes for all pupils
- Improve current Ofsted ratings
The support can also focus on
- New headships
- Behaviour and safety
- Target Setting and data tracking
- Monitoring of teaching and learning
- Middle leaders and pupil progress
A new head teacher who received leadership support to move her PRU from satisfactory to good gained the following Ofsted result;
Another senior leader received leadership coaching to apply for headship following NPQH. A headship application was successful and support will continue into the first term of the new post.